[RkWard-devel] distribution plugin

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Mar 12 14:43:59 UTC 2006

Hi Stefan,

> unexpected I was too busy this week to finish the plug-ins as intended.
> However, I promised to provide them this week. You will find them as
> attachment.

don't worry. As a matter of fact I was ill most of last week, and I'm still
busy catching up on all my real life tasks. So you certainly were not / are
not holding anything up.

> So far only the calculations work more or less properly. Charting is
> still a problem because some of the needed arguments form RKWards side
> as still "mysterious" to me. Anyway, I attached my existing stuff too.
> The plan is to extend the functionality of RKWard at least to the level
> of Rcmdr. So my plans go farer. The following table gives an overview of
> available and planed Distribution functions according to the R syntax.
> Random deviates and quantile functions are not jet supported in general.

I'll yet have to look at it in detail. Overall your work looks impressive. One
thing I should have mentioned is that contrary to the way it's done right
now, it's probably not desirable to continue to have one directory per
plugin. I guess within the next two or three days, I should find a chance to
review your work, reorganize the file-structure, submit to CVS, and give you
a CVS account.
Until then, maybe you should keep track of which plugins you modify locally,
so you'll know where to merge changes, once I'm done.

> I hope to complete all within the next weeks. Moreover some names might
> be misleading. I'm open for suggestions.

I'll look at it.

> Another question about the dialogues in "my" plugins. When I invoke the
> rk.graph.on () function is the code no more visible in the code frame.
> Is this only my observation or ... ? Example:
>
> rk.graph.on ()

Ah, actually it's not a bug but a questionable feature: Currently the code
frame only shows the preprocess () and calculate () stages. Probably this
does not really make too much sense, and I'll change it to show everything.

> @Thomas:
> I asked for syntax highlighting. And I was indeed thinking of the
> console. But if it is hard to implement just forget my stupid idea.
> Obviously there would be workarounds (external editor) for people who
> would need this.

I see. Well, the reason it's not quite this easy, is because what's displayed
on the console is not necessarily completely well-formed syntax. In
particular:
1) there are prompts ("> " and "+ ") at the beginning of lines
2) there are lines of output in between
3) there may have been syntax errors like e.g. misbalanced quotes in earlier
lines, but those should not affect the syntax-highlighting of subsequent
lines.
All this means that we can't just use a powerful kate part here, to do
syntax-highlighting. It may somehow be possible to still make use of kate
highlighting capabilities somehow, but not in a straightforward way. So I
think it's too tedious to be a priority right now. You could still add it as
a wishlist item, however, so it will be reconsidered sometime later, when
there are fewer excuses to imperfection...