[RkWard-devel] marketing

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 3 14:08:33 UTC 2006

Hi Stefan,

just some quick notes, as I don't have much time right now.

> An
> other idea is to write people like e.g. John Fox (Rcmdr) an e-mail and to
> please them for support. He for example teaches at an university statistics
> and maybe some of his students would like to ... . I guess you know what my
> idea behind is.

Don't put too much hope into this. I think most R-frontend projects are at
least vaguely aware of each other - mostly because we've all had our share in
fights on r-sig-gui over what is the right approach for an R GUI. The short
version bottom line is pretty much, that it's often quite helpful to discuss
specific common development problems with each other, but that seems to be
about as much cooperation as can be found.
Of course you may try this, but just don't expect too much...

> Moreover I could do a translation into German. But right know I have no
> Idea how to do this (obviously with KBabelfish).

Some basic information is available here:
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Translation_RKWard
(note that I've never done a translation myself)

> Something different.
> 1) Yesterday evening I had the idea to include in the "Help" menu to option
> to fire up the R html help. I thought it can be done as for the plug-ins
> (right?). In R it's simple (“R; help.start()” -> the help will be opened in
> a sensitive browser)) but where do I find the file to enter this in RKWard.

This will be fairly easy to do, but requires modifications in the RKWard C++
sources, so it's rather a job for a programmer. Maybe you could add a
wishlist item for this
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=50231&atid=459010), to make sure
I'll be reminded of it.
(Plugins can't do something like this, yet. They all assume there will be a
dialog to make some settings, which obviously is not what you want, here).

> 2) And how do I include a package when it is needed for a certain task. For
> example in R it is "require(gplots)" if one wants to create a bandplot.

And that's basically just what you do in a plugin, too. A plugin basically
just generates the R code needed to perform the real task (see section C of
the introduction to writing plugins). You'd simply add such a require ()
statement there. E.g.:

function preprocess () {
?>
require (gplots)
<?
}

> 3) When Qt4 comes is then a port of RKWard to other OS then Linux possible?
> I'm just curios.

Yes, it will be possible (but only when KDE 4 comes out, which will probably
be roughly one year from now). It will require some additional work, but it
will be feasible.

> 4) For inexperienced "developers" like me I would like to see the
> recommendation on the developer page to use KXML-Editor and Quanta because
> both of them (or KXML-Editor as plugin for Quanta). Both ease the start
> enormously.

Ok, I'll try to remember to add such a recommendation. Feel free to remind me,
if I forget.