[RkWard-devel] marketing

"Stefan Rödiger" stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 13:33:29 UTC 2006

Hi all,

it seems a good idea to announce it. I began yesterday to search in the web
for sites which provide information about "more or less free" statistical
software. So far I found only two of them
(http://freestatistics.altervista.org/index.php &
http://members.aol.com/johnp71/javasta2.html) to which I sent an e-mail. One
was rejected and from the other I have no reply so far. Anyway, if you know
others then tell me. Moreover I wrote a few sentences in the OOo forum
(http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=31215) in the hope some
active members have interest or suggest RKWard when somebody asks for.
About the documentation can I say barely anything since I didn't have a
close look on it (right now I just attempt to write a plugin for a boxplot
and histogram, which is quite difficult for me as I'm not a programmer).
An other idea is to write people like e.g. John Fox (Rcmdr) an e-mail and to
please them for support. He for example teaches at an university statistics
and maybe some of his students would like to ... . I guess you know what my
idea behind is.
To the life CD. If you consider to use quantian (which is a Knoppix
derivative) please have a look at Kanotix. Though Kanotix aims to be a
desktop distribution it can also be used for such purposes. The advantage of
Kanotix is it's superior hardware detection (my main reason), the installer,
scripts for ati- and Nvidea graphic cards, ..., an active forum and so on.
(It's just a suggestion! I know that you know what's the best.)
We can work on the Wiki, but before I would like to know what has to be done
exactly. So Yves, lets stay in touch. Unfortunately I have only seldom
access to the internet (mostly at work) otherwise we could have a talk via
irc (I saw this from other projects like G.I.M.P).
Moreover I could do a translation into German. But right know I have no Idea
how to do this (obviously with KBabelfish).

Something different.
1) Yesterday evening I had the idea to include in the "Help" menu to option
to fire up the R html help. I thought it can be done as for the plug-ins
(right?). In R it's simple (“R; help.start()” -> the help will be opened in
a sensitive browser)) but where do I find the file to enter this in RKWard.
2) And how do I include a package when it is needed for a certain task. For
example in R it is "require(gplots)" if one wants to create a bandplot.
3) When Qt4 comes is then a port of RKWard to other OS then Linux possible?
I'm just curios.
4) For inexperienced "developers" like me I would like to see the
recommendation on the developer page to use KXML-Editor and Quanta because
both of them (or KXML-Editor as plugin for Quanta). Both ease the start
enormously.

Cheers!
Stefan.

Please forgive me if some of my ideas are shortcomings. Maybe I'm just to
enthusiastic at the moment ("I want it all, I want it all and I want it now
[Queen ;) ]).

--
DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl