[RkWard-devel] Fehler in fun(...) : Tcl already loaded

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Apr 19 17:27:28 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 22:38, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> While trying to install a new package I got following error message:
>
> Fehler in fun(...) : Tcl already loaded
> Fehler: .onLoad in 'loadNamespace' für 'tcltk' fehlgeschlagen
>
> After starting rkward as root, then downloading the new package list and
> restarting as normal user everything worked normal.
> Any comments?
>
> Anyway, as far as I know one must be "root" in order to install new
> packages. User might  stumble over this and wonder why it dosn't work.
> Maybe a statement like "You must be root" would be more meaningful. Am I
> wrong?

Package management definitely needs to be reworked, and I hope to tackle this
soon. Most importantly, the current solution does not handle package
dependencies at all, and effectively this makes installing some packages next
to impossible.
What we will have to do is to use Rs install.packages () internally, to do all
the dependency handling. Unfortunately, this means, that we can not insert a
kdesu-mechanism at all, as we do currently. I had a short conversation with
the R people about this, and it seems the "recommended" way of dealing with
this is to use "user" "libraries", i.e. install the packages to a location
where the user has write access, and tell R, where to look for those
packages.
When I am in the process of reworking the package management internally, it
may also be worth while to consider the package management GUI. Do we really
need three separate pages with a list of packages on each? Could this be
merged into a single list? What would the GUI look like in order to be
intuitively useable?
If somebody has ideas on this, I'd like to hear about it!