[RkWard-devel] installing packages hangs

Jacob Michaelson jjmichael at comcast.net
Sun Sep 4 22:19:13 UTC 2005

On Sep 4, 2005, at 6:41 AM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first off: What versions of R and rkward are you running?
> The thing that's going wrong is likely that R tries to display a
> window, where
> you have to chose a mirror to download from. You will need at least
> rkward
> 0.3.2 for this to work at all. Some enhancements to handling of R-
> windows
> have been done in CVS, so you may want to try the CVS version of
> rkward as
> well (although there are probably a number of other quirks in CVS).
> Also, please make sure, there really is no window coming up (maybe
> it's hidden
> behind other windows, or pops up on a different virtual desktop?).
> In case none of this works, could you also try running a plain R
> session and
> do
> old.packages ()
> there, to see if the window comes up, then?
> Thanks for your report, and please let me know, if any of this works.
>
> Thomas

I'm running R 2.1.1 and rkward 0.3.2.  I did think it was odd that I
was never asked to specify a mirror, so maybe you're right and the
window is popping up somewhere else.  I figured since the terminal
showed 'selection:', there must be a window somewhere that I should
be selecting something in.

I'm writing this on my Mac, but when I have access to my Linux box
again I'll let you know if I find the missing window.

Thanks for the reply,

Jake