[RkWard-devel] installing packages hangs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Sep 4 12:41:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

> The biggest problem I have right now is that when I go the the
> interface for installing packages from CRAN, when I hit the 'fetch
> list' option, nothing happens.  A small window comes up telling me to
> wait while the list fetched, but nothing ever happens.  In the
> terminal it shows that the command was issued, then it says,
> 'selection:' and that's where it stays.  I've had this problem on
> installations of Ubuntu and SLAX, and I'm not sure what the problem
> is.  There's a screenshot of this function working, so someone
> obviously has it working somewhere.

first off: What versions of R and rkward are you running?
The thing that's going wrong is likely that R tries to display a window, where
you have to chose a mirror to download from. You will need at least rkward
0.3.2 for this to work at all. Some enhancements to handling of R-windows
have been done in CVS, so you may want to try the CVS version of rkward as
well (although there are probably a number of other quirks in CVS).
Also, please make sure, there really is no window coming up (maybe it's hidden
behind other windows, or pops up on a different virtual desktop?).
In case none of this works, could you also try running a plain R session and
do
old.packages ()
there, to see if the window comes up, then?
Thanks for your report, and please let me know, if any of this works.