[RkWard-devel] installing packages hangs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Sep 5 09:31:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Well, I tried again to see if there was a mirror selection window
> that popped up somewhere else, and there is no window anywhere.  I've
> checked all virtual desktop spaces and have moved windows around to
> make sure that it didn't pop up somewhere else.  I've attached a
> screenshot with the windows that are up and the relevant terminal
> output.  This is a very vexing problem as this is really the last
> feature I really need for my R GUI on Linux needs.

as you may have noted, your post did not go through to the list, due to the
screenshot. Size limit is 100KB. Anyway, the screenshot does not really show
anything unusual. Ok, two questions:

1) If you invoke a plain session of R (i.e. not in rkward, no other frontend),
and run
CRAN.packages ()
what exactly do you get? Does a window come up? Does R ask for input on the
terminal?

2) This may sound a bit weird, but try this: When this happens, go to the
terminal you started rkward from (and that's now saying "Selection:", and
press enter (or perhaps try some other keys / numbers). Possibly for some
reason, R tries to ask you to specify a mirror with StdIn.

Thanks!