[RkWard-devel] Another preview, last call for testing

Jacob Michaelson jjmichael at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 15:41:45 UTC 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 5:41 AM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

>> With your patch I was able to successfully build, install, and run
>> rkward.
>> Unfortunately the Biobase crashing problem still exists.  I've tried
>> several different versions of Biobase, but they all cause the
>> crash.  The
>> only difference I've noticed between loading Biobase and any other
>> package
>> is that Biobase gives you an info/greeting message when it loads
>> (done from
>>
>> terminal):
>
> I can't see, how this could be a problem. For me, it displays the
> message in
> the rkward console without a problem, and the rkward-code for
> handling output
> should not really be platform-dependent. Well, maybe you could try
> running
> rkward with
> rkward --debug-level 5
> then post the last 30 lines or so of output before the crash.

Here's the debug output right before the crash:

Trace: rkconsole.cpp - function submitCommand line 144
Trace: rkconsole.cpp - function currentCommand line 117
Trace: rkconsole.cpp - function addCommandToHistory line 296
Trace: rkconsole.cpp - function currentCommand line 117
Trace: rcommand.cpp - function RCommand line 27
Trace: rinterface.cpp - function issueCommand line 200
Trace: rcommandstack.cpp - function issueCommand line 38
Trace: rkconsole.cpp - function setDoingCommand line 358
Trace: rcommandstack.cpp - function pop line 105
Trace: rinterface.cpp - function customEvent line 127
Trace: rthread.cpp - function doCommand line 128
running command: library(Biobase)
Trace: rkward.cpp - function setRStatus line 654
Trace: rinterface.cpp - function customEvent line 127
Trace: rkwatch.cpp - function addInput line 62
Trace: rksettingsmodulewatch.cpp - function shouldShowInput line 41
Trace: rthread.cpp - function handleOutput line 200
Bus error
$

>> Also, ctl+c still seems to work with the patch:
>>> Sys.sleep(10)
>>
>> --- interrupted ---
>
> Good. Finally, I could fix at least one issue for you...
>
>> I'm still running all this from FreeBSD.
>
> Ok. I have a gut feeling, this is related to the problem with
> locating libR.so
> you reported earlier. Probably the workaround with copying libR.so
> to /usr/local/lib does not really address the core of the problem.
> I've asked
> you to do something similar before, but could you try this variant?
> Run
>
> R.home ()
> R.home ("lib")
> R.home ("bin")
>
> both in the rkward console and in a plain R terminal. Is there any
> difference?

There isn't any difference between the output in the terminal and in
rkward (sorry):

 > R.home()

[1] "/usr/local/lib/R"

 > R.home("lib")