[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.3.0

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Nov 13 12:19:56 UTC 2004

Hi!

> > and design a usable gui for libraries. I think could also usefull exec
> > python code or python plugin to extend features. What do you think about
> > that?
>
> There was a discution about that, involving David Sibai. I'll be glad
> to collaborate on this, and I believe David would also be willing to
> help (although he's pretty busy these days: his new job...).
> Note that it is not yet possible AFAIK to use the standard KDE plugin
> architecture with python: we would have to do it on our own. There is
> a library that could help:
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html

Just a very short outline of what I currently have in mind (and had been
planning to implement for 0.3.0) for RKWard-plugins:
There are going to be two key things:
1) Create an abstract base-class for RKPlugin. The current plugins will only
be one special type of plugins, and using pyQt or other techniques, it will
be possible to create other, more custom plugins by reimplementing this
base-class.
2) A sort of component-trading mechanism: There will be a base-class for
"plugin components". These components will be (visible or invisible) widgets,
which take some parameters from outside, allow the user to make some settings
and produce R-code from that (much like the current RKPluginWidget-class).
You can implement instances of such components in pyQt or other languages,
and register them in the trader. Then, you can embed those components inside
other plugins.

Of course, the details will require quite some work: creating API bindings for
pyQt, etc. I have no experience with this, but it should be doable.