[Semi-Urgent] KDE Applications 18.12 proposed schedule

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Oct 11 23:33:06 BST 2018

El dijous, 11 d’octubre de 2018, a les 23:41:09 CEST, Sandro Knauß va escriure:
> Hey,
>
> next Debian stable aka "Buster" is in the pipeline [1]
>
>     2019-01-12 - Transition freeze
>     2019-02-12 - Soft-freeze
>     2019-03-12 - Full-freeze
>
> Unfortunately KDEPIM  breaks ABI, so we need transitions to get new kdepim
> into Debian, so we only have 1,5 month to prepare the transition, that is
> quite tough (for 18.08 I needed 2 months). Properly we will end up with KDE
> 18.08 in Buster but ship most parts of 18.12 (depending on the manpower).

"KDE 18.08" -> "KDE Applications 18.08" please ;)

> Maybe we can move the 18.12.3 release some days earlier? As we need 10 days
> migration days before the Full-Freeze aka we need to push the packages before
> 2019-03-02. And at least we need some days to package the updates.

So you're saying you need the 18.12.3 release "some days" before March 2nd, right?

That would put it in February which isn't good since then two of our "monthly" releases would be on the same month.

I understand you want to deliver the newest release to Debian users but by moving it to say February 28th we would be "stealing" the rest of users of one week of fixes and the Debian users would neither get them since "those would never get tagged".

> Do you have
> an overview about how many packages get "real" updates within one version
> 18.12.2->18.12.3 not only a version bump?

27 https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?version=18.04.3
27 https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?version=17.12.3
22 https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?version=17.08.3
47 https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?version=17.04.3

Do you think the number is "small enough" that you could get them in with only 8 days from tagging day on March 4 to your freeze on March 12?