Creating bugzilla entries for KDE Applications

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Jul 30 10:48:05 UTC 2017

On samedi 29 juillet 2017 18:15:16 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> At Akademy Adrián adapted Jonathan's scripts for Plasma to KDE Applications.
>
> https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/release-tools.git/tree/add-bugzilla-versions
>
> Since KDE Applications are different in regard to Plasma in which not all
> applications have the same version, we thought of adding a new cmake
> variable that will define the version created.
>
> For example the patch for okular would be something like
> https://paste.kde.org/pest4msbu
>
> The limitation of this is that it can only create one version per repo, and
> at this stage it assumes the name of the bugzilla product is the same as
> the repo, though that could be fixed with creating a
> BUGZILLA_APPLICATION_NAME or similar if needed.
>
> What are your thoughts?

It seems strange to make it configurable for people who compile the
application, what the value of BUGZILLA_APPLICATION_VERSION should be.
I.e. my questions is, why is this a cmake variable?

On the other hand cmake has the notion of the "project version", why don't we
set that and use it for bugzilla too?

E.g. KIO does
set(KF5_VERSION "5.37.0") # handled by release scripts
project(KIO VERSION ${KF5_VERSION})

And okular *should* be doing something like
project(okular VERSION "1.3.${KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MICRO}")

And Dolphin should be doing
project(Dolphin VERSION ${KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION})

(Note that when doing this, you can then port the calls to ecm_setup_version
to ecm_setup_version(PROJECT [...]) i.e. it can get the version number from
the project line)  [requires CMake policy CMP0048 to not be OLD].

Then add_bugzilla_versions can parse the version number out of
project([...] VERSION [...]) in all cases, without having a bugzilla-specific
cmake variable.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5