Dropping kdelibs4-based applications in KDE Applications 17.12

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Fri Nov 11 11:29:52 UTC 2016

Hey,

I'm also totally +1 to get rid of kdelib4 sooner than later, but still see
thre is a lot of work. I take Debian as example, because there I can get the
data what depends on what easily and also includes data of external
applications using KDE libraries...

I would like, if we would also publish the planned removal and/or add a
section to every upcoming release, what will be dropped with 17.12. This way
people are aware of the removal and can understand why we drop applications in
17.12, but also give time to people to help out.

Am Freitag, 11. November 2016, 00:27:06 CET schrieb Andreas Sturmlechner:
> On Thursday, 10 November 2016 at 23:42, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > I know lots of you would want to see this happen *now* but remember
> > there's people using those apps so dropping them makes them no good.
>
> It is probably a good countdown for kdelibs4-based removal.

+1

> But I would have liked to get rid of kdepimlibs-4 dependencies much earlier
> than that - in 16.12 those are to my knowledge only kopete and kuser.

+1

But Debian list more reverse dependencies against kdepimlibs-4, if I request
kdepimlibs4 to go. (Okay Debian is based on Application 16.08)

To summerize the output below. I think we should inform the external
applications about the planned removal and/or ask what is stopping them from
not moving to kf5 based kdepimlibs...

calligra
kraft
syncevolution
tellico

After that we must give the externals also some time to have a release etc. so
I would say, it is not possible to do this faster than a year.

> And then there is Qt4WebKit that several distros want to get rid of the
> sooner the better. In 16.12 that's basically (indirectly) kajongg via
> pykde4 and then a few modules from kde-runtime that I believe no one is
> going to build anymore (drkonqi, kioslave, plasma). Of course only makes
> sense together with a webkit-optional patch to kdelibs4, which is pending
> already - but may not fit the maintenance-mode for some people.

+1. But here also the list of apps using QtWebKit4 is still a lot:
https://wiki.debian.org/Qt4WebKitRemoval

Best regards,

sandro

--

xx kdepimlibs removal:

# Broken Depends:
akonadi-googledata: akonadi-kde-resource-googledata
-> dead for ages should be removed anyways, the relevant part is now inside
kdepim-runtime

baloo: baloo-utils
-> replaced with baloo5

calligra: calligra-semanticitems [amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 kfreebsd-amd64
kfreebsd-i386 mips mips64el mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x]
          calligraplan [amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-
i386 mips mips64el mipsel powerpc ppc64els390x]
-> not part of KDE Applications, needs to be informed about the the removal

kde-runtime: kde-runtime
-> handeld in RR 129339 & RR129339

kdepim4: knode
         ktimetracker
         libcalendarsupport4
         libincidenceeditorsng4
         libkdepim4
         libkdepimdbusinterfaces4
         libkleo4
         libmessagecomposer4
         libmessagecore4
         libmessageviewer4
         libpimcommon4
         libtemplateparser4
-> well very obious :D

kdewebdev: klinkstatus
kgpg: kgpg
kmymoney: kmymoney
-> not part of Applications

kopete: kopete [amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel powerpc
ppc64el s390x]
        libkopete4 [amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel powerpc
ppc64el s390x]
-> also in Application 16.12 not handled right now
kraft: kraft
-> not part of Applications
ktorrent: ktorrent
-> debian has not packaged the 5.X version

kuser: kuser
-> also in Application 16.12 not handled right now
libkpeople: libkpeople-dev
            libkpeople-plugins
            libkpeople4
            libkpeoplewidgets4
-> replaced by libkf5people
pykde4: python-kde4
        python3-pykde4
-> pykde4 is used by
autokey: autokey-qt
gdebi: gdebi-kde
kajongg: kajongg
kanyremote: kanyremote

syncevolution: syncevolution-libs-kde
-> not part of Applications

tellico: tellico
-> not part of Applications, 3.0beta is already build without KDELibs4Support,
and are Qt5 only.

ktp-common-internals: kdepimlibs5-dev