Dropping kdelibs4-based applications in KDE Applications 17.12

Andreas Sturmlechner andreas.sturmlechner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 23:27:06 UTC 2016

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 at 23:42, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I know lots of you would want to see this happen *now* but remember there's
> people using those apps so dropping them makes them no good.

It is probably a good countdown for kdelibs4-based removal.

But I would have liked to get rid of kdepimlibs-4 dependencies much earlier
than that - in 16.12 those are to my knowledge only kopete and kuser.

And then there is Qt4WebKit that several distros want to get rid of the sooner
the better. In 16.12 that's basically (indirectly) kajongg via pykde4 and then
a few modules from kde-runtime that I believe no one is going to build anymore
(drkonqi, kioslave, plasma). Of course only makes sense together with a
webkit-optional patch to kdelibs4, which is pending already - but may not fit
the maintenance-mode for some people.

Regards,
Andreas