Future frameworks releases

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 9 08:50:36 UTC 2015

On Monday 08 June 2015 18:38:11 Hrvoje Senjan wrote:
> > Hello packagers,
> >
> > The thread "Versioning of Frameworks" on kde-frameworks-devel has led to
> > the idea that some future frameworks (coming from the kdepim world) would
> > not be part of every Frameworks release, and would have their own
> > versioning scheme. This is at the request of their maintainer, Christian,
> > CC'ed.
> >
> > For example:
> >   KF 5.12 would contain KImap 2.1
> >   KF 5.13 would not contain a KImap release
> >   KF 5.14 would contain KImap 2.1.1
> >   KF 5.15 would contain KImap 2.2
> >
> > Would that work for you guys?
>
> Biggest problem here, at least for now as i can see, are dependency
> versions for those with their own scheme.
> Now we can have
> (build)requires >= %version
> but with the new setup we would need to check each individual
> framework for raised versions.

As far as I am concerned dependencies are there to express the requirements
of a piece of software, and for portability and stability the lower the better
(which is not to say dependencies shouldn't be bumped, but they should be
bumped for a reason). By going "(build)requires >= %version" you create one
giant monolithic blob, which is not a good idea at all IMO. So yes you can no
longer do that, but it's also only marginally better than ignoring the version
alltogether IMO.

btw. all the information should be available in the CMakeLists.txt, so this
should be scriptable, and if the maintainer of the framework does a good job,
the dependencies change also only every so often.

Cheers,
Christian