Future frameworks releases

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 09:16:17 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 09 June 2015 10:50:36 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Biggest problem here, at least for now as i can see, are dependency
> > versions for those with their own scheme.
> > Now we can have
> > (build)requires >= %version
> > but with the new setup we would need to check each individual
> > framework for raised versions.
>
> As far as I am concerned dependencies are there to express the requirements
> of a piece of software, and for portability and stability the lower the
> better (which is not to say dependencies shouldn't be bumped, but they
> should be bumped for a reason). By going "(build)requires >= %version" you
> create one giant monolithic blob, which is not a good idea at all IMO. So
> yes you can no longer do that, but it's also only marginally better than
> ignoring the version alltogether IMO.

Christian,  See it from a distribution point of view. If we update to KDE
Frameworks 5.12 (as an example), then we want to have the situation where the
user would end up with all the correct libraries and not in the situation
where one framework library is version 5.12 and an another one is version
5.10, etc.

Yes, for building the frameworks, the version checks in the CMakeLists.txt
files could be sufficient if properly maintained. However it would also depend
on the buildsystem is used by the distribution. Otherwise one could end up
that a  Tier3 library is build against an older version of a tier1 library and
afterwards the tier 1 library is updated to a higher version.

So all in all, we as packagers trying to utilize whatever we can to ensure
that our users are ending up with a consistent set of libraries and programs.

I can imagine that the current versioning of the Frameworks Libraries are not
the most ideal ones for the library maintainers themselves, as that a version
is updated even when there are no changes. But on the other hand this would
increase the consistency between the libraries themselves.  At least for the
packagers.

As Hrvoje indicated a couple of exceptions can be easily handled, but if this
would turn out that KDE Frameworks 5.12 would consist of libraries with all
different version numbers, then it would be the greatest nightmare for us
packagers.

Regards

Raymond
openSUSE KDE community team