Future frameworks releases

Hrvoje Senjan hrvoje.senjan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:38:11 UTC 2015

> Hello packagers,
>
> The thread "Versioning of Frameworks" on kde-frameworks-devel has led to the
> idea that some future frameworks (coming from the kdepim world) would not be
> part of every Frameworks release, and would have their own versioning scheme.
> This is at the request of their maintainer, Christian, CC'ed.
>
> For example:
>   KF 5.12 would contain KImap 2.1
>   KF 5.13 would not contain a KImap release
>   KF 5.14 would contain KImap 2.1.1
>   KF 5.15 would contain KImap 2.2
>
> Would that work for you guys?

Biggest problem here, at least for now as i can see, are dependency
versions for those with their own scheme.
Now we can have
(build)requires >= %version
but with the new setup we would need to check each individual
framework for raised versions.
This might not be a big problem with one, two frameworks, but i guess
after a while, once the number of
those frameworks raises, it might become cumbersome.
Tarball path is not so problematic, but it was indeed simpler and
easier with every tar being consistent...

Cheers,
Hrvoje