Future frameworks releases

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 9 08:27:02 UTC 2015

On Monday 08 June 2015 18:07:48 laurent Montel wrote:
> Le Monday 08 June 2015 01:28:04 David Faure a écrit :
> > Hello packagers,
> >
> > The thread "Versioning of Frameworks" on kde-frameworks-devel has led to
> > the idea that some future frameworks (coming from the kdepim world) would
> > not be part of every Frameworks release, and would have their own
> > versioning scheme. This is at the request of their maintainer, Christian,
> > CC'ed.>
> > For example:
> >   KF 5.12 would contain KImap 2.1
> >   KF 5.13 would not contain a KImap release
> >   KF 5.14 would contain KImap 2.1.1
> >   KF 5.15 would contain KImap 2.2
> >
> > Would that work for you guys?
>
> Just a question: Why put kimap as a framework if it doesn't follow the
> versionning ?
> It can live as a separate lib as actually no ?
> It doesn't make sense to create an exception for it.

It could live separately, but:
* I'd like to see other frameworks to be versioned as well (kcalcore, kmime,
...)
* If frameworks is supposed to be an inclusive umbrella rather than something
exclusive, the versioning policy is IMO too restrictive

So from my perspective this isn't so much about KIMAP, but about having
versioned frameworks, I just took KIMAP as a posterchild because that's where
I'm maintainer and where I know it would be benefical for sure.

Cheers,
Christian