This is not working [for me]

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Thu Jul 30 18:54:01 UTC 2015

Albert,

I've given this problem a bit of thought since you pasted your
frustration to me the day 15.08 beta release started (and since the
original e-mail here). I think fundamentally the problem is that
there's nobody responsible for each module anymore. We have a list of
"Module Coordinators" here:
https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team that is mostly obsolete
and we don't really have a mechanism in place for replacing people
there who have left. I'm not suggesting we adopt a top-down heirarchy
for KDE Applications, but it would be good to have someone specific
for each module to poke when things aren't ready at release time (or
any other time tbh). A few names on that list are quite good and
current, while others have left quite a while ago. For example I don't
think Gunnar is the one to poke if something in kdeaccessibility is
broken for some reason. I've e-mailed him a bit about KMail and after
sending 3 mails over 6 months I got one reply back. We need people on
that list that are around, available and can fix things in their
respective areas or can poke someone they know who can. When kdepim
didn't build or wasn't ready (not all git repos were even in the right
place in projects, etc.) did you try poking Allen? Would he know who
to poke if he was asked (I really don't know, not anything against
Allen, but the pim effort lately seems to have been all Laurent and
Daniel)? If we have people who are present and aware of their module's
current contents for each module we then have a release "Team" rather
than a release-Albert :) Anyway I suggest the following:

1) Define what module coordinators responsibility is and what is
expected of them.
2) Ask the people on the module coordinator list if they want to be
coordinators still (and explain what is expected of module
coordinators).
3) Create a mechanism for replacing module coordinators that leave or
fail to perform their responsibilities.

The last one I'm not so sure about how to handle. I can think of
having a volunteering situation, and if nobody volunteers we could
consider retiring the module altogether or putting it on life
support/LTS. (maybe kdemultimedia is headed there? dunno). Once we
have a definition of what's required and such it shouldn't be hard to
define rules for when someone should be phased out. Something like if
the coordinator is unreachable for X days or weeks on urgent issues
they get retired from the spot and replaced by someone that can handle
the responsibilities?

BR,
Jeremy