kio-extras into applications

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:07:45 UTC 2015

Hi Sebastian,

Please find my comments below.

> If for example I want to use fish:// for my desktop folderview, I'd have to
> install something from applications. That's what I meant.

Nitpicking: there are application outside of KDE Application that let
you access fish://, for example Krusader.

But still, there is nothing wrong in installing only kio-extras from
KDE Applications and nothing else from it.

>> I am not opposed to having it in frameworks if that's the consensus, but I
>> find it arguable. It brings features to users (like apps), not to
>> application  developers (like frameworks).
>
> Surely it does, as soon as an app developer wants to integrate a specific
> protocol for their app (and not just "any" protocol, like KIO), then this
> would be needed. I imagine getting something from a webdav server, or storing
> a file on a specific backup service.)

If an app developer wants to integrate WebDAV with the help of KIO,
then kio-extras will be a run-time dependency, so there's absolutely
no reason for having kio-extras in Frameworks.

--
Alexander Potashev