kio-extras into applications

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 10:38:24 UTC 2015

On Thursday 02 July 2015 13:07:45 Alexander Potashev wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Please find my comments below.

> > If for example I want to use fish:// for my desktop folderview, I'd have
> > to install something from applications. That's what I meant.

Yes, and you also need to install something from applications if you want to
edit that image file that you see in folderview. You see it as a very
different thing because one is a plugin and one is an application, but to the
end user, it's both "need something more, install something more", very
broadly speaking.

I think you also need to install something from applications if you want to
read the help file for desktop folderview :-)

> Nitpicking: there are application outside of KDE Application that let
> you access fish://, for example Krusader.

You are both right, no contradiction there.

> But still, there is nothing wrong in installing only kio-extras from
> KDE Applications and nothing else from it.

Yep. On the other hand, telling people to install a part of Plasma to get
fish:// support in kwrite sounds very wrong to me.

> >> I am not opposed to having it in frameworks if that's the consensus, but
> >> find it arguable. It brings features to users (like apps), not to
> >> application  developers (like frameworks).
> >
> > Surely it does, as soon as an app developer wants to integrate a specific
> > protocol for their app (and not just "any" protocol, like KIO), then this
> > would be needed. I imagine getting something from a webdav server, or
> > storing a file on a specific backup service.)
>
> If an app developer wants to integrate WebDAV with the help of KIO,
> then kio-extras will be a run-time dependency, so there's absolutely
> no reason for having kio-extras in Frameworks.

Bad example, since WebDAV is implemented by kio_http which is in kio itself
:-)
But yeah, you could come up with a case where an application developer
specifically needs a particular kioslave as the central piece of the
application; in such case I could actually be convinced to add it to kio.git,
provided that it doesn't add dependencies. Or as you say, that's just a matter
of documenting a runtime dependency. I'm sure we have other cases of apps that
need each other at runtime...

Working on KDE Frameworks 5