kio-extras into applications

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 09:54:42 UTC 2015

On Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:34:56 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 June 2015 11:03:21 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:00:31 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > Plasma 5.3.2 is out and in August the 3 releases are closely aligned
> > > so it's a chance to move things about while minimising the overlap.
> > > kio-extras has been suggested to be moved to Applications instead of
> > > Plasma as it's needed by people who use Applications but don't use
> > > Plasma.  Should I request the move and into which sub-module?
> >

> > Doesn't this give us the same problem, only the other way around?
>
> I don't see that. You install a Plasma desktop. Then you need a text
> editor,  you install kwrite. Then you need support for sftp://, you install
> kio-extras. The latter integrates with the desktop differently than the
> former, but other than that, it's all about additional features at runtime,
> which you can install from KDE Applications, no matter which
> workspace/desktop you're using.

If for example I want to use fish:// for my desktop folderview, I'd have to
install something from applications. That's what I meant.

> I strongly believe kio-extras should be in applications.

I have no strong preference, was just wondering how it makes the situation
better. (Ok, maybe the example I gave is very power-usery, so it may indeed be
more widely used by apps, but it's not really an apps-specific thing, more
something like a runtime extension for possibly everything.)

> I am not opposed to having it in frameworks if that's the consensus, but I
> find it arguable. It brings features to users (like apps), not to
> application  developers (like frameworks).

Surely it does, as soon as an app developer wants to integrate a specific
protocol for their app (and not just "any" protocol, like KIO), then this
would be needed. I imagine getting something from a webdav server, or storing
a file on a specific backup service.)

Don't count this as veto, just food for thought, please.
--
sebas