kio-extras into applications

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 09:34:56 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 30 June 2015 11:03:21 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:00:31 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Plasma 5.3.2 is out and in August the 3 releases are closely aligned
> > so it's a chance to move things about while minimising the overlap.
> > kio-extras has been suggested to be moved to Applications instead of
> > Plasma as it's needed by people who use Applications but don't use
> > Plasma.  Should I request the move and into which sub-module?
>
> Doesn't this give us the same problem, only the other way around?

I don't see that. You install a Plasma desktop. Then you need a text editor,
you install kwrite. Then you need support for sftp://, you install kio-extras.
The latter integrates with the desktop differently than the former, but other
than that, it's all about additional features at runtime, which you can
install from KDE Applications, no matter which workspace/desktop you're using.

I strongly believe kio-extras should be in applications.

I am not opposed to having it in frameworks if that's the consensus, but I
find it arguable. It brings features to users (like apps), not to application
developers (like frameworks).

Working on KDE Frameworks 5