CHANGELOG keyword

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Oct 11 22:30:43 UTC 2014

El Dissabte, 11 d'octubre de 2014, a les 20:55:55, Dominik Haumann va
escriure:
> On Friday 10 October 2014 21:53:50 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Hi people, as discussed in Brno we want the CHANGELOG keyword for
> > automatic
> > filling of release notes.
> >
> > I've added it with a description to
> > https://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Commit_Policy#Special_keywords_in_GIT_an
> > d_ SVN_log_messages
> >
> > What do you think? Should i mail kde-devel, kde-core-devel about it?
>
> As I understand, CHANGELOG was introduced for the frameworks modules.
> If I use it in for instance the Kate application (kate.git), CHANGELOG: will
> probably not have any effect, right? Or are there plans to generate
> changelogs also for other pars of KDE code?

The plan is to eventually use it for all releases, when we get to have a
script that does it :D

> > We'll obviously also need a script to parse them :D
>
> I think it's good to have CHANGELOG:
> However, when I committed today I basically have this commit log:
>
> ----
> Title: fix: guard against broken code folding state on disk
>
> REVIEW: 120506
> CHANGELOG: guard against a possibly broken code folding state on disk
> ----
>
> In essence, I have the same commit message twice: once in the title, and
> once after CHANGELOG:

I'm not against an empty CHANGELOG: meaning the tool has to use the title, but
i'd still want to have the possibility to have a separate line, my titles are
usually "more geeky" and I would not want them in a public consumption
changelog so i'd have to craft something more user-friendly in the CHANGELOG:
entry.

What do others think?