CHANGELOG keyword

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Sat Oct 11 18:55:55 UTC 2014

On Friday 10 October 2014 21:53:50 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi people, as discussed in Brno we want the CHANGELOG keyword for automatic
> filling of release notes.
>
> I've added it with a description to
> https://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Commit_Policy#Special_keywords_in_GIT_and_
> SVN_log_messages
>
> What do you think? Should i mail kde-devel, kde-core-devel about it?

As I understand, CHANGELOG was introduced for the frameworks modules.
If I use it in for instance the Kate application (kate.git), CHANGELOG: will
probably not have any effect, right? Or are there plans to generate changelogs
also for other pars of KDE code?

> We'll obviously also need a script to parse them :D

I think it's good to have CHANGELOG:
However, when I committed today I basically have this commit log:

----
Title: fix: guard against broken code folding state on disk

REVIEW: 120506
CHANGELOG: guard against a possibly broken code folding state on disk
----

In essence, I have the same commit message twice: once in the title, and once
after CHANGELOG:

I'd like to suggest that if CHANGELOG: is followed by no string, then fall
back to the title of the commit. So my commit would look like this:
----
Title: fix: guard against broken code folding state on disk

REVIEW: 120506
CHANGELOG:
----

Does that make sense & is that doable?

PS: Besides that, I'm often using git-cola, which auto-wraps by default at
column 72. I personally like that, but in the case of the CHANGELOG: feature
I'm then limited to ~60 characters, which pretty much again equals what I use
in the title.

Greetings
Dominik