[kde-release-team] Re: KDE Frameworks 5 TP1 tarballs

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 12:29:34 UTC 2014

On Monday 06 of January 2014 23:13:22 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 08:43:14PM +0100, šumski wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 of January 2014 12:40:05 David Faure wrote:
> >
> > > You can find it in kde-build-metadata/dependency-data-kf5-qt5, attached
> > > here for convenience.
> >
> > Great, just a few questions ;-)
> > 1) Is it expected that extra-cmake-modules and attica have the versioning
> > scheme as other frameworks? i.e. are they considered as part of KF5 in
> > future?
> >
> > 2) Wrt. co-installability: atm KF5 cannot be installed side by kdelibs4 in
> > same prefix due to file conflicts (e.g. kconfig_compiler, kmailservice,
> > ktelnetservice, some DBus interface files) - is this also longer term
> > plan, or it just hasn't yet been 100% tackled?
>
> kmailservice and ktelnetservice are interchangeable binaries, you can
> use them from either kdelibs of kf5, they work the same.

They are interchangeable *now*. This could change in future and break kdelibs.
And distributions would still have to solve the packaging problem to have the
binaries installed when kdelibs are installed but KF5 not, when KF5 is
installed but kdelibs not and to prevent conflict when both are installed. So
I'd vote for the "5" suffix here, too.