[kde-release-team] Re: KDE Frameworks 5 TP1 tarballs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jan 9 08:09:06 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 13:29:34 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Monday 06 of January 2014 23:13:22 Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> > > Great, just a few questions ;-)
> > > 1) Is it expected that extra-cmake-modules and attica have the
> > > versioning
> > > scheme as other frameworks? i.e. are they considered as part of KF5 in
> > > future?
> > >
> > > 2) Wrt. co-installability: atm KF5 cannot be installed side by kdelibs4
> > > in
> > > same prefix due to file conflicts (e.g. kconfig_compiler, kmailservice,
> > > ktelnetservice, some DBus interface files) - is this also longer term
> > > plan, or it just hasn't yet been 100% tackled?
> >
> > kmailservice and ktelnetservice are interchangeable binaries, you can
> > use them from either kdelibs of kf5, they work the same.
>
> They are interchangeable *now*. This could change in future and break
> kdelibs.

Not really. This is controlled by the .desktop file spec.
We install a desktop file with an Exec line, it's all pretty standard.
If the commandline of the programs change, their desktop file will change too.
There's no other more complex interaction with these programs.

They handle mailto:/ and telnet:/ urls, you don't need two such handlers
installed -- in fact if you do have two in the same prefix then you'll have
the issue that the same one gets picked up by both kdelibs4 and KF5 anyway.