Calling off Beta1

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue May 29 21:17:01 UTC 2012

El Dimarts, 29 de maig de 2012, a les 23:08:50, Adrian Schröter va escriure:
> Am Dienstag, 29. Mai 2012, 22:35:23 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> > On Tuesday 29 May 2012, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > I'm not.  You've known about this since Saturday.  AFAIK didn't consult
> > > packagers on impacts.  Made a late announcement (if you were going to do
> > > this,  waiting three days did't help).  Then you give a very pointed
> > > response to anyone who questions your decisions.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Saturday would have been in time to cancel the release. We started
> > importing it on Monday. Canceling the release after the distros already
> > started packaging it is a complete no go.
> >
> > > Fine.  You're the release dude, so decide, but there are ways to deal
> > > with
> > > it  that are much less abrasive than this.  I read your mail on Saturday
> > > and thought it meant "go package the soprano snapshot - you'll need
> > > it".  It never even occurred to me that the release would be canceled.
> >
> > Same here (or actually I'd have hoped Albert would try to coax the Soprano
> > maintainers into doing a release, which would have been the proper way out
> > of this crisis). It isn't even the first time this occurred, and
> > canceling the beta release wasn't ever even for dicussion in the past,
> > nor did the mail on Saturday give any hint that this might possibly
> > happen this time.
>
> Maybe just the wording is a bit wrong. There will be always a first beta.
> Even though maybe not in time, but it absolute makes no sense to release a
> Beta 2 as first step ;)
>
> I think the beta 1 is still waiting for a soprano release.
>
> So for the future KDE should either create the official soprano releases as
> well or it should require just the latest official one before. That means
> developers of kdelibs should not depend on not yet released soprano
> releases ...

Exactly, that's why we have a "Dependency Freeze" one whole week before the
Beta 1 release in our schedule
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Release_Schedule because we need to
have the release based on existing releases of our dependencies.

It is just not easy to enforce people to follow freezes.