Calling off Beta1

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at
Tue May 29 20:35:23 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 29 May 2012, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I'm not.  You've known about this since Saturday.  AFAIK didn't consult 
> packagers on impacts.  Made a late announcement (if you were going to do
> this,  waiting three days did't help).  Then you give a very pointed
> response to anyone who questions your decisions.


Saturday would have been in time to cancel the release. We started importing 
it on Monday. Canceling the release after the distros already started 
packaging it is a complete no go.

> Fine.  You're the release dude, so decide, but there are ways to deal with
> it  that are much less abrasive than this.  I read your mail on Saturday
> and thought it meant "go package the soprano snapshot - you'll need
> it".  It never even occurred to me that the release would be canceled.

Same here (or actually I'd have hoped Albert would try to coax the Soprano 
maintainers into doing a release, which would have been the proper way out of 
this crisis). It isn't even the first time this occurred, and canceling the 
beta release wasn't ever even for dicussion in the past, nor did the mail on 
Saturday give any hint that this might possibly happen this time.

        Kevin Kofler

More information about the release-team mailing list