Calling off Beta1

Scott Kitterman kde at
Tue May 29 19:10:18 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 07:55:02 PM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 29 de maig de 2012, a les 13:45:34, Scott Kitterman va escriure:
> > Albert Astals Cid <aacid at> wrote:
> > >El Dimarts, 29 de maig de 2012, a les 19:31:37, Kevin Kofler va
> > >escriure:
> > >> On Tuesday 29 May 2012, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > >> > Blame the soprano developers and the nepomuk developers for not
> > >respecting
> > >> > the dependency freeze.
> > >> 
> > >> Oh by the way, this is not the first time a prerelease of the KDE SC
> > >depends
> >> on a git snapshot of Soprano, either (sadly). So it's not so big a
> >> catastrophe to warrant canceling the entire release!
> > >
> > >I'm the release dude now, I've decided I don't want to release tarballs
> > >that
> > >depend on something that does not exist.
> > >
> > >You can volunteer if you don't like how I'm doing the work and let the
> > >rest of
> > >the release team decide who they want doing the job.
> > 
> > Thank you for the team oriented approach to your work on KDE. I find it
> > very motivational.
> Please do not confuse team work with democracy. I like team work, I do take
> suggestions, but at the end each person in a team has a given role and a
> given attributions for that role, the release dude does the releases.

I'm not.  You've known about this since Saturday.  AFAIK didn't consult 
packagers on impacts.  Made a late announcement (if you were going to do this, 
waiting three days did't help).  Then you give a very pointed response to 
anyone who questions your decisions.  

Fine.  You're the release dude, so decide, but there are ways to deal with it 
that are much less abrasive than this.  I read your mail on Saturday and 
thought it meant "go package the soprano snapshot - you'll need it".  It never 
even occurred to me that the release would be canceled.  

> And as release dude I've decided I don't want to release Beta 1 depending on
> unreleased packages.
> Being the release dude is something i did not want to do, but we had to make
> a release and noone was there to do them.
> Cancelling the Beta 1 is something i did not want to do, but I do sincerely
> think that releasing depending on unexsisting stuff is a bad idea.

Fine, but if you're going to deviate substantially from past practice, I think 
it's reasonable to expect some warning.

Scott K

More information about the release-team mailing list