RFC: Conditions of early access to unreleased

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 09:24:34 UTC 2012

On Monday, June 4, 2012 00:52:47 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Bad:
>  * We lose some of the storm since we are "late" to our own release :D

we've also had situations in the past where tarballs have been made, a
critical problem uncovered, fixes made, a re-roll happens ... and hopefully no
users have gotten the release.

it is not just a matter of marketing, but making sure that when people get a
release, it is actually "the" release, and we can't know that until KDE puts
the rubber stamp on the tarballs and says "here is the official release".

it's a simple matter of coordination.

>  * Do not make the packages available to your users (in stable or
> automatically suggested updates to stable versions) before the official
> tarballs are announced

+1

i also think it would be nice if we could help the distributions become a
little more relaxed and not quite so pressured to have packages THE DAY OF THE
RELEASE OMG WTFBBQ!!!11!! many of the most unfortunate results in past years
have come from pressure to have packages overly quickly: packagers feel
pressured, competition for pre-releases distorts proper release mechanics,
etc. i don't know if there is anything upstream can to to make this better for
packagers (perhaps they can weigh in on this for us as well ..) but i'd love
to see releases be a much more peaceful and enjoyable time :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo