RFC: Conditions of early access to unreleased

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Tue Jun 5 02:25:15 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:56:36 AM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dilluns, 4 de juny de 2012, a les 00:11:32, Scott Kitterman va escriure:
> > Sorry for breaking threading.  I wasn't subscribed when this was sent, so
> > had to copy/paste from the web archive.

> > > I like to view it as we have specific points-of-contact within the
> > > various
> > > distributions who have agreed to interact directly with us, the KDE
> > > developers and community in order to deliver the best possible KDE for
> > > their
> > > distribution. As such they have early access to unreleased tarballs to
> > > give
> > > early feedback of issues that would impair their ability to package the
> > > software so that when Release Day rolls around, there are already KDE
> > > packages available, yaaay!
> > >
> > > Really though, that's where I try to stop thinking of it being a
> > > privilege
> > > for the packagers. You've certainly seen how hard it is to tag together
> > > dozens and dozens of disparate modules into a working release, I can't
> > > imagine it is much easier for the packagers to stitch it together on
> > > their
> > > end.
> > >
> > > I agree candidate tarball releases shouldn't be deliberately announced
> > > users or pushed directly to distribution channels, but I would not see
> > > major issue if enterprising users happened to end up with binary
> > > packages. After all, they can already run "the upcoming release" using
> > > build-tool or kdesrc- build so they really have no more advantage or
> > > claim to running it than many other users.
> > >
> > > If it is required for a distribution's packaging build system to push
> > > packages out, I would still rather have that than for them to hold up
> > > making packages until *we* are ready.

> > I agree packagers should do this, but it's been done on the packagers
> > list.
> > I think that should be sufficient.  It shouldn't need to go to two lists.
>
> The problem is kde-packagers is a *private* list, so posting there doesn't
> really help much, in the other had all/most module coordinators should be
> subscribed to the release team list and they can act on mails only if they
> see them.
>
> That's why I think mails should go to release-team.
>
> Actually if you browse the archives of release-team, it was suggested that
> kde-packager was disbanded as there is lots of overlap between both lists,
> and actually packagers are part of the release team by doing binary
> releases for their distros.
>
> We only kept kde-packagers as a private list where we could propagate
> eventual security advisories, but otherwise i think it was agreed
> release-team is quite a good place for us to discuss release things, like
> needed patches, etc.
> > > I agree with this, and AFAIK the packagers have been doing well with
> > > this.
> > > But it's good to have it in writing.

> > > I would agree with this, with the proviso that we're talking about a
> [...]

No.

The only place we would ever push any update before it had all been tested
would be into the development release and the development release is exactly
that (this is not a release that's supposed to be run by end users).  Being
able to start that process a bit earlier there and build KDE SC packages that
other KDE SC packages need to build (which must be done in a public
repository) would help us get done with official packages closer to the release
time.

Before a point release gets to a repository that will cause it to be
automatically suggested to normal users it will have been through at least two
rounds of building and testing in unofficial and official test repositories to
make sure it works and to try and identify any regressions.

Scott K