Release Script (KF5)

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jul 12 17:50:01 UTC 2012

El Dijous, 12 de juliol de 2012, a les 19:29:46, Michael Jansen va escriure:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2012 07:21:40 PM Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> > > Many small packages, but all at the same time. So "based on KDE
> > > Frameworks
> > > 5.0.1" will have some value in bug reports.
> > >
> > > However you're right, apps themselves should have their own version
> > > number,
> > > maybe we can solve the same way as we do for the frameworks: by running
> > > script that updates the toplevel CMakeLists.txt in all modules before
> > > releasing.

> > > All libs, obviously. Who would take the time to run a diff and make
> > > really
> > > sure that nothing changed? This is additional work for nothing and makes
> > > everything more complex. Just like right now, we release kdeadmin or
> > > kdetoys with every KDE SC release, even if nothing changed.

> > > I can't decide there, that's for the release team to decide, but IMHO if
> > > it's all scripted and done all at once (KDE SC release), then it's
> > > simpler
> > > to just re-release everything.
> >
> > I agree with David here, just release everything, it's easier for
> > everyone.
>
> No it is not. It is a waste of bandwidth, resources and time for all
> involved.

Why do you ask for opinions of you are in possession of the truth?

> Do you really think forcing an update of unchanged modules for our
> convenience will help those of us trying to use plasma for mobile devices?

That's the work of the distributor for those mobile devices.

> Do you really think splitting up kdelibs and then releasing it more or less
> as one big blog is really helpful?

David thinks it is. I agree with him.

> Will it help people consider kde a more lightweight dependency?

Can't read people's minds.

> I will implement the ability to skip release for unchanged modules (fully
> automated) and would ask everyone here to really think twice before asking
> the release team to keep the current practice of releasing everything.
> Because there is no reason.

Please, next time there is no reason for something, just do it, don't ask
people involved, complain they don't answer, and when they answer ignore them
anyway.

P.S: Is that blunt enough for you?