Release Script (KF5)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 12 19:21:56 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 13:36:18 Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 01:25 PM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > But apart from that: could we start dreaming? Dreaming of a KDE where
> > every
> > application clearly defines what dependencies it has and exactly in a way
> > that packagers can set up the dependencies in an automatic and correct
> > way? Can we consider going forward with leaving all hacks behind us and
> > not stop the fixing with the hacks being the reasons?
>
> Yes, please.   My dream includes:
>
> start the work to define this wonderfully well-specified set of
> dependencies *first*, *then* consider dropping all the old assumptions
> and hacks (not before).
I think we are currently in the process of doing just that. Currently no hacks
are dropped yet and we plan for the future. What I got from this thread is
that we as KDE developers have to define more clearly our dependencies.

So in this process of evaluating what we need for the future, the current
hacks have to be irrelevant as that will just mean we will never have a bright
future in that regard.

Of course we have to keep the hacks as a plan B in case plan A (getting it
right) does not work out :-)

Cheers
Martin