kdesdk migration

Torgny Nyblom nyblom at kde.org
Wed Dec 12 06:20:27 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 11 December 2012 18.07.33 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Torgny Nyblom <nyblom at kde.org> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> > On , Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> >
> > Hello release team guys,
> >
> > In preparing the kdesdk rules for migrating kdesdk from svn to git I'm
> > wondering what the best time would be to migrate.  I see 4.10 beta is to
be
> > tagged next week, would it be best to get the migration done before then?
> > or wait until after 4.10 is finally released towards the end of January?
> > Either way I'll do a set of conversions into scratch tonight for the
> > application maintainers to check.
> >
> > Would this involve a split as well? If not I agree, the sooner the better.
> > If it will, I would prefer that the monolithic module would be available
> > until 4.9.5 is out. This does not mean that the conversion should not
> > happen ASAP but that there needs to be a simple way of recreating the old
> > tarball layout and to compile it in the same way that is done now.
> >
> Torgny,
>
> Yes, this does involve a split up.  See
> http://community.kde.org/KDESDK/Git_Migration#Module_Splitup  I was hoping
> we could do the final migration this weekend, but if needed we could wait
> until 4.9.5 is released or at least tagged at the end of December.

But then you'll have the same issue with 4.10.x :)

> Release guys,
>
> How are we combining git repos into a module for release these days?  I
> remember creating some script to combine and put kde-edu into one folder
> for tarring when we did the kde-edu migration, but can't remember what the
> tool was or where the script went (and maybe something completely different
> is used these days anyway).

A script that takes the split repos and combines them into a single tarball
and a main CMakeLists.txt file that builds the resulting tar ball.

As long as this is in place before 4.9.5 we'll manage.

So given this I vote for doing the migration and we'll patch 4.9.5 to fake a
single tarball.

/Regards
Torgny