Add some apps to the 4.7 release?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun May 15 21:22:00 CEST 2011

Hi Thomas,

On Saturday, May 14, 2011 21:28:40 Thomas Zander wrote:
> I've been stabilizing and making ready for release some apps (in git) and I
> would like to get them released in the 4.7 release compilation.

For 4.7, the hard feature freeze has already passed, it's too late to add apps
at this point. You've also completely ignored existing review processes, as
laid out on techbase. From a pure process POV, that's a bunch of show-
stoppers.

> Can you help me get through the steps to make this possible? Thanks.
>
> I have been working on several KOffice applications for well over a decade
> and after the first release together with KDE2.1 the koffice team back then
> (which included David Faure, and other famous people) wanted to keep a
> release schedule that was slower than KDE to allow the apps to mature more
> between releases.
> It needs saying that there are a lot of names behind this code and you will
> find hundreds of names in the commit lists of the repo in the last decode, a
> significant number of whom now work in leading Qt based companies. The time
> has come for the the apps to come home and be released together with the
> KDE SC.

You really don't have to educate us about KOffice's history, especially if you
leave out interesting bits such as the recent fork in the community. That just
makes me feel more uneasy about this request.

Your request sounds too much like a political game to me, I don't think it's
wise at this point to add KOffice to KDE SC. That is a clear _no_ from my
side.

If you'd like to work towards making KOffice part of KDE SC, the following
would help:

- Resolve conflicts with the Calligra team (Wasn't there an arbitration
  process?)
- Create a couple of stable releases,
- Show that there's a team maintaining them behind it

Once that has happened, we can revisit this request.

I don't have a problem with you releasing KOffice separately, but at the same
time as the SC releases, but I don't think we should make it part of the KDE
SC.

Best,
--
sebas