OpenAL and SndFile as hard dependency for Granatier

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri May 13 09:26:43 CEST 2011

On Friday 13 May 2011 3:17:22 pm Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> On the build side, do you need more than marking it as an optional
> >> dependency so that it will be shown as not found when CMake lists which
> >> packages were found or not?
> >
> > That depends on who reads the list of not-found packages and when ...
> > After all, the list *is* headed by the word "optional" in capital
> > letters ...
>
> From what I understand, the main concern is getting packagers to notice
> these new dependencies. They are much more likely to check the output
> than a normal user who is building from source.
>
> > On a scale of 0 to 9, between "optional" and "required", I would rate
> > sound as 7 or 8 in this case, but how can you tell CMake that?
>
> I thought your intention was to make OpenAL/SndFile optional
> dependencies in that it would still be possible to build kdegames
> without them. There is no way to tell CMake they are semi-required :)

OK, thanks for clarifying that, Raphael.  I guess "required" means
"essential to compilation and building" and anything else is "optional".

In the case of Granatier and KGoldrunner, all the places where sound
is referenced are protected by conditional compilations in our apps
programs, so it would be an easy matter to change the dependencies
on OpenAL and SndFile to "optional", maybe strengthening the wording
in the macro_log_feature invocations to indicate to the packagers the
importance of the dependencies.

Would this need to be committed ASAP or after the Beta 1 release?
I am happy to go ahead with it, but cannot speak for Mathias (Granatier).