git migration, next steps

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 11:01:37 CEST 2011

On Friday, June 03, 2011 04:27:41 PM Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 09:19 AM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> > As you may or may not know kdeaccessibility and kdeutils are ready to
> > migrate to git (when the freeze is over, don't worry).  And we'd like to
> > know what the feeling is about the best time to migrate to minimize
> > packaging/releasing stresses.  We'd also like to know what
> > packagers/release-team think of the split repos already done in kde-edu,
> > etc. Should we provide artificial monolithic tarballs?
>
> I would advocate for monolithic tarballs (again) in general (not just
> kdeedu), the current quasi-arbitrary half-done hodge-podge kde-4.6.80
> tarballs are quite a mess (with both my packager and release-team hats on).
>
> Split tarballs *after* migrations are final and where it can be
> carefully planned and executed would be more welcome, say for kde-4.8.

+1

It's answer for the question what does it mean for packagers. For the first
import it means a lot of work/time/nervs ;-) and it can be done. But some
stability and consistency is needed - to do it just once.

As Rex and Kevin pointed out, I'm now trying to to fit the new sources to our
current packaging scheme. Probably for kde edu, that seems like final split
(really?) we'd like to start from scratch. But I'm not still not sure it's right
time to do it - what in case of decision to roll back and release monolithic
packaged for 4.7?

So please - we'd like to see final word from release team ;-) We can adapt (even
it won't be easy) but we have to know to what we have to adapt.

R.