git migration, next steps

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:27:41 CEST 2011

On 06/03/2011 09:19 AM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> As you may or may not know kdeaccessibility and kdeutils are ready to
> migrate to git (when the freeze is over, don't worry).  And we'd like to
> know what the feeling is about the best time to migrate to minimize
> packaging/releasing stresses.  We'd also like to know what
> packagers/release-team think of the split repos already done in kde-edu,
> etc. Should we provide artificial monolithic tarballs?

I would advocate for monolithic tarballs (again) in general (not just
kdeedu), the current quasi-arbitrary half-done hodge-podge kde-4.6.80
tarballs are quite a mess (with both my packager and release-team hats on).

Split tarballs *after* migrations are final and where it can be
carefully planned and executed would be more welcome, say for kde-4.8.

-- Rex