BIC in libkonq

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 4 11:31:27 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 04 of August 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Yes, probably most of libraries are local to kdebase-workspace. But if they
> are local, they should not install headers to the world. But they all do
> (why?). A few libraries in kdebase-workspace are definitely public, for
> example libsolidcontrol (afaik, it broke BC in 4.5 without bumping soname)
> and libtaskmanager [1] (it broke ABI in 4.4 in comparison with 4.3).
>
> The recent example on top of all that workspace stuff: libsolidinterfaces
> was moved to kdelibs 4.4 with completely reworked API and without any
> soname bump. Looks like KDE violates soname concept for the sake of what?
> Because a single change in CMakeLists.txt is too hard? Or SOVERSION 4 is
> such a good looking number that there is a strict policy not to touch it?
> I'm sorry but I don't know how else I could explain this.

 Laziness and unawareness are pretty good excuses for many things.

> Anyway, at this point I see this as completely lost battle. I guess we will
> need to start adding distro patches (sad) for bumping sonames of those
> public libraries because you do not seem to have much interest in following
> well defined practises in the unix world which are supported by
> libc/ldconfig/ld.so.conf.

 And they seem to be quite good excuses for you too, it seems. If you want
this problem solved, kde-core-devel is a much better place for the discussion
then the release-team list at the point when the tarballs are about to be
released. You apparently have known for quite some time, so yours "you" is
actually "we".

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer