BIC in libkonq

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Wed Aug 4 10:16:01 CEST 2010

Hello,

On antradienis 03 Rugpjūtis 2010 22:52:36 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> libkonq is
> an edge case, it is used in quite some other modules, on the other side,
> due to the anything that depends on *workspace* must require the exact
> version anyway, making an exception for libkonq doesn't make that much
> sense to me.

Yes, probably most of libraries are local to kdebase-workspace. But if they
are local, they should not install headers to the world. But they all do
(why?). A few libraries in kdebase-workspace are definitely public, for
example libsolidcontrol (afaik, it broke BC in 4.5 without bumping soname) and
libtaskmanager [1] (it broke ABI in 4.4 in comparison with 4.3).

The recent example on top of all that workspace stuff: libsolidinterfaces was
moved to kdelibs 4.4 with completely reworked API and without any soname bump.
Looks like KDE violates soname concept for the sake of what? Because a single
change in CMakeLists.txt is too hard? Or SOVERSION 4 is such a good looking
number that there is a strict policy not to touch it? I'm sorry but I don't
know how else I could explain this.

Anyway, at this point I see this as completely lost battle. I guess we will
need to start adding distro patches (sad) for bumping sonames of those public
libraries because you do not seem to have much interest in following well
defined practises in the unix world which are supported by
libc/ldconfig/ld.so.conf.

[1]
$ apt-cache rdepends libsolidcontrol4
libsolidcontrol4