BIC in libkonq

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Aug 3 21:52:36 CEST 2010

On Monday 02 August 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:

> > Good point. we should
bump it to version 6?
> Yes, one of the main SONAME purposes is to manage
BIC changes.
> Unfortunately, libraries outside kde(pim)libs break BC all
the time but
> rarely ever bump SOVERSIONs (for example, kdebase-workspace
libraries).
> Hopefully, such a bump in libkonq would set a good example for
the future.

Well, most libraries outside the kde*libs space are only used
within their module, thats why BC is lesser of a concern here.

libkonq is
an edge case, it is used in quite some other modules, on the other side, due
to the anything that depends on *workspace* must require the exact version
anyway, making an exception for libkonq doesn't make that much sense to me.

any other opinions?

Thanks,
Dirk