BIC in libkonq

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Mon Aug 2 23:47:52 CEST 2010

Hello,

On antradienis 03 Rugpjūtis 2010 00:22:54 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 02 August 2010, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While packaging KDE 4.5.0 I noticed that libkonq is BIC due to [1]. I
> > am wondering why there was no SONAME bump for this. Actually, I was
> > about to add a local patch to bump SONAME from 5 to 5a when that came
> > into discussion with Tom Albers, who suggested to bring this here.
> > Obviously, it is better if this SONAME bump is done upstream. What do
> > you think?
>
> Good point. we should bump it to version 6?

Yes, one of the main SONAME purposes is to manage BIC changes. Unfortunately,
libraries outside kde(pim)libs break BC all the time but rarely ever bump
SOVERSIONs (for example, kdebase-workspace libraries). Hopefully, such a bump
in libkonq would set a good example for the future.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>