New module proposal

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 2 23:23:09 CET 2009

On November 2, 2009, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Cantor is a frontend to 3 advanced algebra and maths programs that can only
>  be used with a special knowledge and a somewhat deep learning curve. Same
>  for Rocs. I like the idea of a scientific target module, I think it fits
>  some Free Software users.

agreed ...

(btw, with some additional work on Cantor, i may have a user for it in the
house here. she currently uses http://spss.com/statistics/ but doesn't like
that it's non-free ..)

> It's just an idea we had because I don't think Rocs fits in kdeedu.
>  Educational software can be a lot of things and while we won't categorize
>  everything, we cannot add everything edu-related either.

true; and what you suggested (breaking them out into categories) can certainly
help with that. sounds like KDE Edu is becoming a victim of its own success in
that way; congratulations ;)

if things continue to grow, there are two other options that spring to my
mind:

* Extra Gear
* turning KDE Edu into slightly more of an independent project like KOffice
is, freeing it up from needing to stay "small" or "on target" enough to fit in
with the central KDE Software Distribution; it could still time its releases
with the main KDE ones (and even piggy back the release processes to some
extent?) but take a more independent stance as a project with a very specific
audience (compared to the generic target audience of the KDE Software
Distribution).

just some semi-random thoughts on the matter. in any case, thanks for
explaining further what the goal for this new module is. i hope it improves
things for the KDE Edu team :)

>  Or in the end it
>  does not really matter as distros cut the modules anyway?

i don't think relying on distributions to make all of our decisions for us is
a great way to go. if we can't figure out how things relate with each other,
will they be able to (and do so with good results)?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se