New module proposal

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Mon Nov 2 22:25:05 CET 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 17:39:08 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On November 2, 2009, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > We have a new coming application in playground/edu called Rocs which is a
> > Graph Theory Tool and is targetted to uni/high school students.
> > I'd like to propose to create a new module for KDE 4.4 (kde-science or
> > something like that) and move Cantor there along with adding Rocs.
> > Maybe other apps can also join (Kyle?)
> > What do you think?
>
> what would be the dividing line between kdescience and keedu, exactly?
>
> i ask because i'm a little unclear on whether it's because the apps are
> science related and so KDE Edu is going to diversify into multiple
>  categories (with kdeedu being a "miscellaneous" category catcher?) or if
>  Rocs is being kept separate because of it's target audience (uni/high
>  school)?

It's because the audience is restricted to a specific target (and because
kdeedu is getting big by including all edu-oriented apps).

All other applications have a broader audience, from kids to adults while
Cantor and Rocs are specialized applications. When we say "kids" as target, in
real life we have also adults using it, for example KLettres to help adults
learn reading. Other apps are used to re-habilitate adults after a trauma, for
example to help improving hand coordination or memory.
Cantor is a frontend to 3 advanced algebra and maths programs that can only be
used with a special knowledge and a somewhat deep learning curve. Same for
Rocs. I like the idea of a scientific target module, I think it fits some Free
Software users. It's somewhat a natural target but I am biased living with a
scientist who mentors PhD students  ;-)

It's just an idea we had because I don't think Rocs fits in kdeedu. Educational
software can be a lot of things and while we won't categorize everything, we
cannot add everything edu-related either. Or in the end it does not really
matter as distros cut the modules anyway?

Anne-Marie