a self debriefing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 10 02:04:27 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> And to make it worse, the "always summer in the trunk" will make then
> confuse, and developers ( there's exceptions ) as we know don't care too
> much about distro bugs from stable series, imagine in a word without any
> kind of freeze

always summer in *trunk*, not aways summer everywhere. there would still be
freezes (marked by branching), releases (according to schedules, as we do
now), etc.

evidently this is important to communicate to people as it seems to be
currently misunderstood by many.

> > * are we getting the return in commitment promised from third parties due
> > to the discipline of a 6 month cycle, or do we need to re-assess that
> > with them?
>
> Third parties who ?

ISVs, OSVs, large deployments ...

> > * if that disentanglement will take more than a year, how do we deal with
> > aligning our development with Qt? (our most critical and quickly evolving
> > component)
>
> Is there a reason to take a year ?

i don't know =)

> > * are the libraries being well served by the amount and form of
> > communication thus far?
>
> ( putting distro hat now )
> No at all. kdelibs is fine, bug phonon had that confusion during the 4.1
> cycle and things like nepomuk, soprano, eigen, akonadi are all a mess in
> the releases.
> Akonadi is the first one in the effort to stabilize kdesupport in last
> weeks, but is way too much to do ahead, and for after 4.2

agreed ..

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se