Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Andras Mantia amantia at kdewebdev.org
Sun Mar 30 22:42:34 CEST 2008

> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> wrote:
>>  Sorry, in the beginning I couldn't find the good word, but in fact I
>>  meant interpreted languages,
>
> Well, actually I never stress the fact Ruby or Python are interpreted.
> It doesn't matter. Currently the best implementations of them are
> interpreters but that can and will change.
>
> New Ruby 1.9 comes with a bytecode VM. JRuby is already mature now and
> they also have Ruby compiler (to Java bytecode).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't really matter in the memory
overhead case (might help with running speed), as you'd still need the
bytecode "executor".

> that's true for Ruby). But languages already allow _you_ to be a more
> productive programmer.

Me? ;) Probably I'm too old school and sceptic, and someone who did not
see e.g a Java application that runs fast and not use a lot of memory.
Somehow I didn't run into any python GUI application at all that I'd need
to use. Perl GUI apps are ugly and quite buggy and perl has the problem
that you almost always need to hunt down the dependencies from cpan.
With Ruby I have less experience, the only one is that amarok has some
Ruby plugins.
I'm not saying C++ apps are not buggy or slow, as indeed many are, yet I
saw many good C++ GUI apps in my life.

Neverthless I accept the decision that was made, as I at least have the
knowledge to not build/install what I don't want to. :)

Andras