Pre-approved Languages

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sun Mar 30 17:35:54 CEST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 30.03.08 08:19:33, Allen Winter wrote:
> I'm not a kdebindings person, but I did try both korundum (ruby) and
> I know PyQt/PyKDE for quite some time.
>
> Both have one drawback:
> - PyQt/PyKDE are both mostly developed in private repositories of one
>   person (well, one for each), which means that fixes sometimes take a
>   bit longer and (especially PyQt4) don't follow our release cycles
> But even though both bindings are in quite good shape - AFAIK and both
> languages should be pre-approved.

That is not entirely accurate. PyQt is developed privately at Riverbank
Computing and snapshots are regularly made available. (It looks like
Phil is publishing nightly snapshots). When a new version of Qt is
released, the updated PyQt release quickly follows in general. Usually
long before the next release of KDE which requires the new Qt. Phil has
always been responsive to bug reports in my experience.

PyKDE is split between Jim Bublitz and myself. Jim is the main PyKDE guy
who does most of the big changes and tooling work for generating the
bindings. Jim's time and bandwidth is limited which makes it hard for
him to track SVN trunk. This is where I step in and manage PyKDE in
kdebindings and integrating Jim's work into SVN. I also do maintenance
work on PyKDE and update the bindings to track SVN (which I did leading
up to 4.0). Jim has been sharing his knowledge with me to help increase
PyKDE's "bus factor"[1].

PyQt and PyKDE have been around for bit a long time already and are
highly mature.

[1] "bus factor" is defined as the number of developers which need to be
hit by a bus in order to completely derail a project.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/