Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 19:11:30 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it's no more or less a problem than any other dependencies. and we
> have quite a list of them.

Which is sometimes unfortunate, but that's another discussion.

> let's try to stay focussed on the real
> issue, scripting, rather than writing a laundry list of things that
> are neither here nor there when it comes to scripting.

Sure, but this also exposed the problem that having a Python app makes
our lives not easier than I would expected, but in some ways even
harder. In the particular case it has dependencies not available in a
modern and widely used distribution and for some of them it is suggested
to get from svn.

> in fact, one might say that the current state of affairs is due
> exactly to the position you are taking right now. as i said before,
> this is a chicken and egg problem ... if we simply take a little bit
> of pain right now, we stand a chance for things to improve
> dramatically with time.

There is a lot of things that could be implemented in such languages and
I would not oppose to them. So I cannot believe that such an attitude
scared away the developers. After all there was Guidance for KDE3, it
was accepted in KDE extragear, just like K3B, KTorrent  or KMPlayer was.
And we can do the same now. Again, I just don't like the idea to have
applications that are a must on a KDE desktop to be written in scripting
languages. If they are daemon like ones, that's even worse. If there is
a very good Plasma applet written in Python that I like, I may decide to
use it, just don't make e.g. the clock a Python application. Or Ruby.

> and seeing the state of the printer app this would be replacing (e.g.
> none; it's non-existent in kde4 right now), i think having something
> that exists totally trumps a theoretical c++ app that doesn't.

It is unfortunate that in this case there is no c++ app replacing it.
Sincerely I was not aware of it. I'd rather ask for public help to
either port kjobviewer to KDE4 or write a new one. Can even be a SoC
project.

Andras