Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 17:46:52 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > PS: I will test this and guidance once my KDE trunk checkout finished
> > compiling.
>
> And I failed. printer-applet has some dependencies (python-cups, hal-
> cups-utils) that I couldn't find for my distribution (opensuse). This is
> already a problem.

it's no more or less a problem than any other dependencies. and we have quite
a list of them. let's try to stay focussed on the real issue, scripting,
rather than writing a laundry list of things that are neither here nor there
when it comes to scripting.

> My opinion did not change, but more, I believe even more that core apps
> need to be C++.

like all bugs, these get fixed if there is sufficient manpower and reason to
apply to it. by keeping everything c++ we may as well just decide to not use
scripting languages at all, ever because the level of quality and support
will always be pathetic.

in fact, one might say that the current state of affairs is due exactly to the
position you are taking right now. as i said before, this is a chicken and
egg problem ... if we simply take a little bit of pain right now, we stand a
chance for things to improve dramatically with time.

and seeing the state of the printer app this would be replacing (e.g. none;
it's non-existent in kde4 right now), i think having something that exists
totally trumps a theoretical c++ app that doesn't.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se