Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 28 18:34:11 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 06:38:11PM +0200, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > It installs to ${DATA_INSTALL_DIR}.
>
> That was written in the README file:
>
> hal-cups-utils and system-config-printer like to install to
> /usr/share/system-config-printer, if you put it elsewhere change the
> SYSTEM_CONFIG_PRINTER_DIR variable in printer-applet.py
>
> So I believed it. Or...is system-config-printer another dependency?
> Because in that case "It is a Qt port of system-config-printer by Tim
> Waugh from Red Hat." is misleading.

system-config-printer is another dependency yes, it includes some
python modules for ppds that this applet needs.

The applet is a port of the applet from system-config-printer.

If there's a better wording I can use in the README then let me know.

> > > My opinion did not change, but more, I believe even more that core
> > > apps need to be C++.
> >
> > That attitude will mean we have less programmers and less programmes.
>
> I doubt refusing such apps in core modules will have this effect.

You are proposing we don't can't have printer-applet.  That's one less
programme and one less programmer.

If distros don't want python applications they're entirely free not to
install them, same as with any other optional dependency.

Jonathan